Saturday, October 3, 2015

DubTV Season 3 Premiere Review

To be brutally honest, I think the premiere show did not go well. There were a few positive highlights, but I felt there were a lot of flaws.

First of all, I think the biggest thing that needs to be fixed is the hosts being displayed more frequently. In past seasons, the hosts had a major role in introducing the show and serving as a transition between segments. The season 3 premiere didn't even display the hosts until after a few segments, which in my eyes was a huge mistake. Also, in the past, the hosts would talk to introduce segments; that was not the case in this episode. Moving forward, the hosts need to be the first part of the show, and they should be inserted more frequently.

Next, many of the segments dragged on way too long. The idea was creative, but "The Tutor" seemed to drag on too long and have no real conclusion. As a viewer, it was easy to lose interest early on as the first segment was just characters sitting in a room talking for a few minutes. The first segment should be much more upbeat and draw the attention of the audience.

Other details I felt needed to be fixed: make sure people have the same clothes, hosts need to prepare beforehand, and technical difficulties need to revised. In part of the host segment, Sabrina had on a different shirt, which cannot happen. In both the show hosts and the sports hosts, the presenters needed to speak up and prepare beforehand. Many times in the hosts and sports, it seemed they were reading off of a script, including during "athlete of the week," Khary was reading off his phone. In terms of technical difficulties, at one point near the end, a random image of Spenser from earlier in the show popped up unintentionally.

Finally, highlights of the show were: fresh cuts, sports, and The Classroom. Fresh cuts was a perfect example of what a DubTV segment should be: it featured many different camera shots, it had applicable background music, and it moved quickly without dragging out too long. The actual sports segment was done well because it had video highlights from events, and it featured images from the sporting events. The only thing I would add to sports is enthusiasm from the hosts. Last, "The Classroom" was done very well, the acting was great and it was very well written, I think it will continue to be a highlight of the show. However, we should make sure that DubTV does not completely revolve around "The Classroom." I think last year, DubTV focused too much attention on Hallway of Our Lives, making other segments almost irrelevant...we should avoid that this year.

My role in the show was making the final credits. Additionally, I contributed in collecting shots for the "Fresh Cuts" segment.

No comments:

Post a Comment